Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sacrament of Matrimony

"By reason of  their state in life and of their order, [Christian spouses] have their own special gifts in the People of God." This grace proper to the sacrament of Matrimony is intended to perfect the couple's love and to strengthen their indissoluble unity.  By this grace they "help one another to attain holiness in their married life and in welcoming and educating their children." from the Catechism of the Catholic Church 1641.

My husband and I have always found joy and strength in thinking of our marriage as a sacrament.  We wed with a mixed-marriage in the eyes of the Church; my husband is a cradle Catholic and I was a devote Protestant.  Sacramental marriage was a new, and very appealing, concept to me.

We were also agreed that faith would be an important part of our marriage.  We wanted to share prayers and devotions on a regular basis.  Now, four years later, the desire to have a vibrant faith-life is strong, but life keeps getting in the way.  We pray together, sometimes.  We read the Bible together, sometimes.

In searching the web for devotional inspiration, I have found many amazing blogs focused on the Catholic Family, and I thought I'd seek and share ideas for the Catholic Marriage, ways to help each other attain holiness as well as welcoming and educating children.

Please post your comments, ideas, and practices so that together we can support the sacrament of marriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment